At The Denture & Implant Clinic, we believe that it’s important to provide our patients with valuable information to improve their overall oral health. During every appointment, we make sure that we are available to discuss any dental health needs, answer questions, and make recommendations whenever needed. Proper dental hygiene is essential to oral health and overall wellness. Feel free to give The Denture & Implant Clinic a call to learn more about our services and book an appointment.
Why is it important to focus on oral hygiene to improve wellness?
The health of the mouth and overall wellness are inextricably linked. Having good oral health can make an impact on the rest of your body. For example:
- Oral health is often a window into the health of the body – Chances are, you’ve gone to the doctor for a checkup and they’ve taken a saliva sample. They do so because the health of the mouth can be an indicator of health concerns elsewhere.
- Common health concerns often present with symptoms in the mouth –Several different systemic conditions show early signs in the mouth. Issues such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and even HIV and AIDS often have signs and symptoms in the mouth.
- Infections can begin in the mouth and move on to the body – If the mouth is not kept clean with good oral hygiene it can lead to a buildup of plaque on the teeth and along the gum line. Eventually, bacteria will begin to accumulate rapidly, developing into early gum disease, also known as gingivitis. Without treatment, gingivitis can progress to advanced periodontal disease and the infection can travel through the bloodstream and impact other areas of the body, increasing the risk of stroke or heart disease. Practicing good oral hygiene can reduce this risk.
- Small cavities can lead to bigger problems – Inadequate oral hygiene and care can lead to cavities, areas of tooth decay on the teeth. If these cavities are not treated, eventually the decay will continue to erode the teeth, causing deep holes that can extend down to the pulp chamber of the tooth. Once the decay reaches this area that houses the nerves and blood vessels of the teeth, patients can experience pain and increase sensitivity. Once this occurs, root canal therapy may be required to save the natural tooth.
Tips for Good Oral Hygiene
The good news is that it’s relatively easy to maintain a beautiful, healthy smile by following these recommendations:
- Brush at least twice a day. Everyone should be brushing once in the morning and once in the evening. It’s also a good idea to keep a travel toothbrush and toothpaste so you can brush after meals when you are on the go.
- Floss every day. Flossing is an important step that should not be overlooked. Flossing every day helps remove trapped food particles that can lead to cavities between teeth.
- Use an antibacterial mouthwash. This will help kill germs and prevent tartar buildup.
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet. Try to minimize the amount of sugary, starchy foods and beverages that you consume in a day. Snacking on crunchy fruits and vegetables such as carrots or apples allows you to get proper nutrition and keep the teeth clean.
- Maintain routine dental visits. Make sure to visit the dentist every six months. During these visits, your teeth will be professionally cleaned to remove any plaque buildup that has accumulated. We’ll also take x-rays and perform a visual examination of the mouth which allows us to detect oral health problems early before they cause significant damage.
Maintaining oral hygiene helps you improve your overall wellness
As you can see, oral health and total health are closely linked. By focusing on maintaining a healthy smile, you can reduce your risk of certain health conditions, prevent the need for costly dental restorations, and enjoy the benefits of a beautiful smile. At The Denture & Implant Clinic, we are happy to help you on the right track with oral hygiene tips and to address any concerns that you may have. Call us today at [phone].