Patients need to have a dental team available that they know and trust. Dr. Suril Amin and the team at The Denture and Implant Clinic work closely with new and existing patients to help them achieve a healthy, beautiful smile. His practice is equipped with some of the latest technologies and highest quality materials to assist men and women with the function and aesthetics of their smiles. If tooth loss occurs, it is essential that patients work with the professionals at The Denture and Implant Clinic, they offer a wide range of solutions.
What are dental implants?
Dental implants are made of titanium, which is biocompatible with the body. It is a metal that will not rust or decay. When patients have dental implants placed into the bone of the jaw, the process of osseointegration secures it in place – this is when the bone fuses to the implant. Patients can enjoy dental implants for life, making them a wonderful investment in the smile and for eating.
Why are implants the best option to replace missing teeth?
Implants are generally the best way to replace missing teeth because:
- They are fixed in place which means you don’t have to remove them
- It leaves your other teeth alone. Dental bridges use adjacent teeth for support and retention which means that can be damaged in the process of making the bridge. They are also prone to more forces as they take the extra load which can lead to future tooth loss.
- They are often the most successful option (some studies report at 98% success rate)
- They will should be the long lasting option you can have
- They preserve bone, which means you don’t get bone loss that can causes that aging appearance
- You can eat whatever you want as the implants are completely secure
So what are the negatives of getting dental implants?
While most patients are appropriate candidates for dental implants, they are not the best solution for every individual. This is often due to lack of bone structure. Additionally, some patients are interested in more affordable alternatives such as bridges or dentures when replacing missing teeth. However, those who are ideal candidates for dental implants, and who are ready to invest in their smiles’ long-term functionality and appearance are encouraged to ask about this method of repair. Here are the negatives:
- Dental implants are often the most expensive option so cost is a negative. However, you have to remember you are buying the Mercedes and not the Ford. We also always ask the patient at the end of treatment if it was worth the financial outlay and the responses are invariably yes and they wish they would have done it sooner.
- Implants often take the longest to do, it’s often not a quick fix. The quickest treatment can take 3 months and the longest 2 years. Most patients are done within 6 months. There are time when we can do the procedure in 2 days from start to finish however this is only in specific circumstances.
- It requires minor surgery so if you are very anxious then it may not be for you. Other alternatives like dentures or bridges may be appropriate. We can always offer
Alternatives to dental implants?
Dr. Suril Amin and his staff believe that patients should have a unique solution for their unique needs and that’s why we always offer alternatives in the cases where patients do not opt for dental implants.
Bridges – This is a fixed alternative which means you don’t have to take the teeth out. A bridge is secured to adjacent teeth and therefore these teeth need to be good.
Dentures – This is a removable option which means you need to take them out. There are many different types and designs and the outcome will be different for everyone, that’s why we offer free consultations to give you information on which one may be best for you. Dentures work incredibly well on some people so it may be the best option for you.
Leave – You can always leave the tooth as a missing gap, although this is often not a good idea.
Versatility of Dental Implants
Dental implants are incredibly versatile. They can be used to replace a single tooth or several teeth. They may also be placed along the dental arch to hold full dentures in place. The dentists at The Denture and Implant Clinic can work with patients to determine how they can be used within their smiles to achieve the results they desire. One tooth can be repaired with the placement of a dental implant restored with a dental crown. Dental implants can also act as anchors for dental bridges, or stability for full dentures.
What’s more is if you decide to get one or two dental implants now and you lose more teeth in the future, you can still use those existing implants to help with future options. For example, we have had patients who get an implant every few years (to replace single missing teeth) and then a decade down the line (when more teeth are lost) the same implants can be used to secure a full arch fixed bridge. And remember you only need 4-6 implants to secure a whole arch. Sometimes this way is more convenient for patients as the investment is made slowly rather than a big lump sum cost.
We have also recently had a patient who had 4 implants in each arch to help secure a denture. He now wanted an upgrade to the best dental implants option (which is fixed full arch implant bridge) and those same implants where used. This is a great way to spread out the costs.
Want to know more about dental implants?
- Read our full implant page here
- Read our free implant guide – 12 essential questions you should ask your dentist before getting dental implants
- Book a free consultation
- Read more of our blogs