If you are about to undergo dental implant or bone surgery, you may be interested in PRGF treatment. The use of plasma rich growth factors can accelerate healing and recovery time. At The Denture & Implant Clinic we are proud to offer our patients a wide array of advanced and therapeutic treatments. PRGF has shown tremendous promise for our patients in the arena of bone and tissue regeneration.
What is PRGF?
When the body experiences an injury, our healing process is triggered to release proteins to stimulate healing and regeneration. Treatment with Plasma Rich Growth Factors uses the patient’s own blood plasma to stimulate this response. It has a long history of use in the medical field, but only in recent years has it become a major player in the field of dentistry. PRGF can be used in several different scenarios for dentistry such as:
- Following bone grafting – We can use PRGF in bone grafting for implants or other issues such as cleft palate, ridge augmentations, and sinus lifts.
- Following bone repair – This can include after tooth extraction, in reconstruction after facial injury or trauma, or following the removal of cysts.
What is involved with PRGF treatment?
Prior to the procedure, the dentist will determine whether a patient is a candidate for PRGF treatment. Patients who have a history of blood clotting disorders cannot have PRGF.
PRGF requires the removal of a small sample of blood that is collected in an outpatient appointment. The blood is then placed into a centrifuge which will isolate the patients’ plasma. The plasma is then placed into another centrifuge, where it is enriched with the patient’s own growth factor hormones.
Following the surgery, the doctor will place the PRGF on the site of the wound to speed recovery. PRGF technology in dentistry helps to repair gum tissue around the bone by using the body’s own resources. The result is faster and more effective tissue regrowth and wound healing.
During any type of recovery or healing, the patient becomes at risk for infection or complication. PRGF speeds up healing to reduce this risk and minimize pain.
PRGF helps with:
In addition to a straightforward, safe, and pain-free technique, there are many benefits to using PRGF. They include:
- Bone regeneration post extraction or around implants. This helps with restoring the shape of the face after bone and tooth loss.
- Speeds up the healing of dental implants, known as osseointegration. This allows the patient to receive their final, fully functioning restoration much sooner.
- Lowering the risk of infection. By using the patient’s own blood, it also eliminates the risk of disease and can eliminate other side effects such as pain.
- Shortening recovery periods. Wounds can heal much faster with PRGF.
If you have any questions about PRGF treatment, or if you would like to find out if you are a candidate, please call our office today at 020 8629 1226 to schedule an appointment.