When was the last time you smiled with confidence? If you are missing teeth, you may not even be able to answer the question. Tooth loss affects so many aspects of a person’s life – the ability to speak easily, smile confidently, and eat comfortably. Fortunately, there is a solution – dental implants. You may be wondering, “What are dental implants?” The simple answer is that dental implants are a permanent and effective solution to missing teeth. If you are in the Surrey area and are wondering, “Is there a dentist near me who can see if dental implants are right for me?” The answer is, yes. At The Denture & Implant Clinic, our professionals specialize in tooth replacement options.
What is a dental implant?
Dental implants replace tooth roots and become the foundation for replacement teeth. Unlike traditional dentures or bridges, which sit on top of the gums and are often secured to natural teeth, dental implants become an integrated part of the mouth. They are excellent for patients who have suffered from missing or failing teeth. Dental implants look, fit, feel, and function just like natural teeth, making them the gold standard for tooth replacement.
Why dental implants are so secure
With the dental implant procedure, a titanium implant is surgically placed into the jawbone where, over time, it will fuse with the bone. This integration allows the implant to be strong and stable enough to support your new teeth. Dental implant treatment can be used for patients missing only one tooth or several implants can be placed to replace an entire arch of teeth. Dental implants allow patients to eat easily because they are firmly held in place with no slippage or movement.
The parts of a dental implant
Dental implants are composed of three different parts.
- The implant – The dental implant resembles a screw and is placed into the jawbone to replace the missing root. It is the permanent connection between your artificial tooth and your bone.
- The abutment – This piece serves as the connector between the artificial tooth and the implant.
- The artificial teeth – For patients only replacing a single tooth this will be a crown. Patients who have multiple missing teeth may have a denture or a bridge attached to the implants.
Benefits of dental implants:
- Held securely in place so there is no fear of movement from artificial teeth
- Stimulate the jawbone to prevent erosion and deterioration which can lead to a sunken facial profile.
- Improved oral health
If tooth loss has impacted you, you are not alone. We see patients every day that are tired of the struggles that come with missing teeth. Dental implants are an excellent, long term solution that can improve health and quality of life. With good oral hygiene and regular dental care, implants can last a lifetime. If you are in the Surrey area, call the team at The Denture and Implant Clinic today at 020 8629 1226 for a dental implant consultation.