Dentures have been used for hundreds of years to restore smiles. Dr. Suril Amin in Surrey offers history, myths, and even fun facts about dentures!
In 700 BC, Etruscans fabricated dentures from animal and human teeth. This type of denture was used until the mid-1800s, when men and women began to experience changes in the diet thanks to the sugar. Sugar consumption increased approximately 500% around this time, and tooth decay became a serious problem. This meant the need for a longer-lasting denture. Ivory was used for some time in the 1700s, and ivory was the material used for George Washington’s dentures—not wood! In the 1800’s, teeth were removed from dead soldiers on the battlefield to use to create dentures due to the high demand. Changes were made in 1820 when porcelain was used and mounted into gold plates. Porcelain is the material of choice, even today.
- The partial dentures of British Prime Minister Winston Churchill were auctioned off in 2010 for $23,723!
- Most tooth loss instances under the age of 35 are caused by fights, accidents, and injuries to the mouth.
- Less than 10% of adults ages 65 and older have lost at least one tooth.
- Dentures are only for the elderly. False! Anyone who is missing adult teeth may benefit from a denture, regardless of age.
- Dentures do not fit properly. A skilled dental professional can ensure the fit and function of dentures, so they are comfortable.
- No one uses dentures today. While there are alternatives to dentures including dental implants, many patients still choose dentures.
Schedule an appointment
Learn more about dentures with Dr. Suril Amin and his team of professionals. Call 01733514610 to make an appointment. Our practice is conveniently located at 42 and 46 Banstead Road in Carshalton Beeches, Surrey.